Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Steps

Although I've been learning many of the traditional things CPE has to offer, I've also been gathering some practical knowledge the program doesn't advertise.  For instance, after a long day on my feet, bustling from one building in the hospital to another, I have learned the value of a good pair of shoes.  The first few days of my program I wore shoes I thought were comfortable, but after hours and hours walking around I had to change my assessment.

Along with walking around the hospital, I've been utilizing public transportation and using my feet walk the distance between where I'm staying and the bus stop.  These new pockets of time devoted to walking have been helpful in giving me time to unwind after a long day or prepare for the day ahead.  However, this time can be rudely interrupted if my feet are aching. 

This week I also walked the labyrinth, a resource the spiritual care department I'm working with provides for patients, families, and employees at the hospital.  Walking the labyrinth is an ancient practice that mimics the confusion and hardship of a pilgrimage.  It also is a time of contemplation.  When I walk the labyrinth, I use the journey to the center as a way to express my frustrations and doubts, to really give into my weariness and aching of my feet.  But once I reach the center, I love to set that all down and give it to God.  Walking out of the labyrinth is a way to begin to walk more fully into the life God is calling me to.  My steps on the way out were a little easier.   

I'm thanking God for blisters that have turned to callouses, for new shoes (thanks mom) that have molded to my feet.  For steps that are heavy, but for the joy of easy strides taking me to new adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment