Blog Archive

Friday, December 13, 2013

First

I have to admit, when snow finally arrived this week, I was pleased.  I've always loved snow that covers the ground and lines tree branches.  It's especially wonderful the first real snow of the year.  Unfortunately, it becomes progressively less exciting the longer winter marches on.

If I thought I was excited about the snow, however, I was wrong.  One of the benefits of my seminary having a strong international community is that every year there is someone who has never seen snow before.  From my perspective, this is quite strange as I've seen snow every winter of my life.  But you can spot those new to the experience from miles away, adult taking pictures, picking up, even tasting the snow.  It's a delight to be able to see the snow through their eyes.

I wonder what it would be like to maintain this excitement.  For snow, sure, but what about the other parts of our life that become routine?   I've had the privilege to experience a variety of new and wonderful things through my time at seminary.  But I know my enthusiasm has dulled as time has gone on.  I get jaded and less appreciative of my surroundings.  We often tell people to carpe diem, live each day like it was their last.  Instead, what if we lived each day as if it were our first?

Wishing you joy and enthusiasm to anticipate Christmas this year as if it were your first.

1 comment: