Blog Archive

Monday, June 16, 2014

Churchy

Sometimes, I wonder if I'm churchy enough to be a pastor. I like being able to blend, not walking around and having people think, "wow, that looks like a pastor!"  Generally speaking, that just means that I'm wearing reasonably stylish clothes and not a collar, but still.  I'm not very good at letting people know that I'll pray for them.  Some days, I forget to pray.  I've definitely forgotten the order of the books of the bible.  There's a lot about church that makes me deeply uncomfortable.    

But then, I spend an afternoon humming Jesus Wants Me for Sunbeam and think I might just be churchy enough. (I will not apologize for the strangeness of the video). I find myself getting all worked up about the language religious people use, because it's ritualistic and powerful and I want to be a part of that.  I have very strong opinions on exactly how long church meetings should go. More than that, this pastor thing might actually work because I like people.  I love people's stories.

Whether it's religion or not, we've all got stories that shape the way we see the world.  Maybe it's the story that tells you that in the end, good will prevail.  Maybe your schtick is that life is fleeting, so carpe diem.  Maybe you like to live a little pessimistically and believe that if you expect the worst, you can't get hurt too badly.  We've all got something.

I can't stay away from church because it is woven so tightly into so many people's life stories, including my own.  I believe in life from death.  I believe in the power of words and the word became flesh. I believe in the power of a good potluck.

I might just be churchy enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment